Sunday, September 18, 2016

Mothering with Chronic Illness Requires a New Definition of "Super"




I'm the mom of three children ages (all girls) 2 and under.  For months, I was dragging in energy and spirit without explanation.  I felt terrible that I was "failing" my children by needing rest and struggling to keep up with them.  My mysterious symptoms eventually led to an electrolyte crisis that necessitated a few days and nights in the ICU.  A few months later, I was diagnosed with (as-of-now mild) lupus.

I will be the first to admit that “super” is not necessarily the first word that comes to mind when I think of myself in this condition--and it's especially not the first word that comes to mind when I think of myself as a mother--but that's exactly why I created this blog.  I've decided to redefine what it means to be a "super parent."  This blog is for myself and for any parent (or person) struggling to meet their own expectations in the face of illness.




Can a person balance illness and motherhood?  It won't be easy, and I will need all the help I can get.

This blog is a place for musings, wisdom from others, and a place for me to share things I find that make mothering a little easier.  

No comments:

Post a Comment